- Keep Active to improve your strength and balance.
- Older adults with muscle weakness are 4-5 times more likely to fall
- Try to do 30 minutes or more of physical activity at least 5 days each week.
- Walking, dancing, Tai Chi and cross-country skiing are a few great ways to be active.
Have your vision checked
- Visit your eye doctor for an eye exam every year.
- Older adults with low vision are 2.5 times more likely to fall.
- A comprehensive eye exam will test your vision and look for issues like glaucoma and cataracts.
- Alberta Health Care covers the cost for adults 65 and older.
Review your medications
- Review all medications with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Seniors taking more than 3 – 4 medications are at a higher risk of falls.
- Some prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, vitamins and supplements can increase your risk of falling.