As you age, it is important to keep active to improve your strength and balance.
Benefits of physical activity
- Keeps bones and muscles healthy and strong
- Improves your balance
- keeps your heart and lungs healthy
- Increases your energy
- Helps you sleep
- Reduces your fear of falling
- Helps reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and high blood pressure
- Improves memory and attention
- Improves mood and sense of well-being
- Try to do 30 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity at least 5 days each week.
- Moderate intensity: you will sweat and breathe harder
- Vigorous intensity: you will sweat and be out of breath
- If you are just getting started, build up slowly and add a few minutes each day
- Include activities that strengthen both arm and leg muscles
- For strength try wall push-ups, stair climbing or exercises with weights or bands.
- For balance, try standing exercises, Tai Chi
- For endurance, try walking, gardening, dancing, cross-country skiing, or swimming
- For flexibility, try stretching, yoga, or Tai Chi