Depression affects the way a person feels about themselves and relates to others. Older adults who suffer from depression are more likely to fall.
Signs & Symptoms
If you have experienced any of the following signs and symptoms for more than seven days in the last two weeks, you may be suffering from depression. These include:
- Having little interest or pleasure in doing things
- Feeling down, sad, or hopeless
- Having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or sleeping too much
- Feeling tired or having little energy
- Having poor appetite or overeating
- Feeling bad about yourself – or that you are a failure, or have let yourself or your family down
- Having trouble concentrating on things such as reading the newspaper or watching television
- Moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed.