A healthy diet is an important part of active, healthy aging.
As you get older, you need to eat less food and require fewer calories, but you need the same amount or more of certain vitamins and minerals.
- Consider a meal-delivery service like Meals on Wheels to reduce your visits to the store.
- Consider shopping at grocery stores that offer online shopping.
- Keep a supply of non-perishables at home in case you can’t get to the store.
- Ensure you are eating a well-balanced diet including all 4 food groups (whole grains, fruits and vegetables, dairy, and meat/proteins).
- Eat foods high in protein with each meal to keep your muscles and bones healthy.
- Fibre helps prevent and treat a variety of conditions such as high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day to stay properly hydrated, and to help the fibre work well.