Prevent Falls at Home
As you age, falls often occur in your home because of hazards that are easily overlooked but important to fix.
Create a Trip-free Home
- Keep floors and pathways clear of furniture, cords and clutter.
- Use non-slip mats or rugs.
- Keep a cordless phone or cellular phone nearby, so you don’t have to rush to answer a call.
- Watch out for items that could cause you to trip, such as toys, laundry and even your pets!
- Be cautious when moving between different flooring surfaces in your home.
- Install safety grab bars by your shower, tub and toilet.
- Have your toilet paper roll within reach.
- Use non-slip mats inside and outside the bathtub and shower.
- Keep floors dry.
- Keep a nightlight on in the bathroom.
Steady On the Stairs
- Use handrails when walking up and down stairs.
- Mark the edge of stairs with coloured paint or tread.
- Keep stairs well lit and install light switches at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Keep stairs free of clutter.
- If possible, install handrails on both sides of the stairs.
Light Your Way
- Give your eyes time to adjust to changes in light.
- Keep all areas well-lit.
- Use nightlights and motion sensors in halls and bathrooms.
- Ensure you have a light by your bed.
- Replace burnt out lightbulbs.