Have Your Vision Checked
As you age, it is important to visit your eye doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist) for a comprehensive eye exam every year to find out about your eye health and any changes to your vision.
Alberta Health Care covers the cost of eye exams for adults 65 and older.
Some changes may increase your risk of falling. These may include:
- Eyes take more time to adjust to changes in light or glare.
- May be harder to identify objects, especially at night.
- Harder to judge the distance from objects.
- You may develop eye conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, or macular degeneration that reduce vision.
- Keep rooms well-lit.
- Use high-wattage light bulbs.
- Use nightlights or motion sensors in bathrooms and hallways.
- Wear sunglasses, even in winter.
- Mark the edge of stairs with coloured paint or treads.
- Keep lighting similar in every room.
- Speak with your eye doctor about multi-focal lenses.